If you are living in the past or the future for that matter, you will miss out on what God has for you today. It also hold’s true that if you focus on what others have and covet then you will be disappointed and miss out on God’s blessings for you. God has many blessings to bestow upon you, but it may be different from what your neighbor has and even from what you think you need and want. God knows us all too well and I know I have gotten things I regret… learned the lesson, “be careful what you ask for, you just may get it.”
How to Live in the Moment
- You need to let go of the past! You need to forgive those people in your life that have hurt you. You need to ask God’s forgiveness for the hurt you have caused Him, AND you need to forgive yourself!
- Let go of expectations; whether that is more money, faster cars, having the power to heal the sick, being perfect, and so forth. Live within the truth of God; that He loves you, won’t forsake you and the hope of Jesus’ return. Make sure the expectations you do have are realistic and coincide with God’s word – otherwise expect to be disappointed from time to time. Just because something doesn’t work out as you expected may only be a timing issue.
- Look at how God is blessing you today – small and big things. They are there.
- Take a minute to work on one of your issues and make yourself better. Work on your weight, self-esteem, brokenness, health, and spiritual walk with God.
- Keep your thoughts under control. If you find yourself straying to a negative place you need to bring that back around. People can go through terrible trials yet can maintain their joy. Sure they hurt but they have a vision of what the big picture looks like.
- When bad stuff happens don’t get disappointed in God. For us to experience the things that our hearts desire we have to go through suffering at times. The journey is tough so hold on to God. Set your eyes on God, not the circumstances and trust Jesus no matter what path you are on. “Dear God, open our eyes so we can see our lives as you do, not through past hurts and failures but from those mountaintop experiences we have had with you.”
- It never hurts to pray and read your bible more… putting others first and getting out in the community to serve. When you reach out to others great things happen!
- Stop! Close your eyes! Take a few deep breaths and say, “thank you, Jesus.”