How do you feel at the end of your day? Do you feel good about how it played out and all that you accomplished or do you feel frustrated, tired and overwhelmed because you didn’t get to half the things you wanted to do?
This day and age it can be difficult to check off all the tasks on your ‘to do’ list. More things are continually being added. Even with technology, fast food and self-serve things aren’t getting any easier. It seems with every new advancement more is expected from us, the age of instant gratification isn’t making things easier – it’s just making us want MORE. Nevertheless, you can maximize your happiness at the end of the day by following these 5 simple steps.
- Step 1 – Set Goals! You’ve heard this a thousand times, but it is true, so why aren’t you doing it? Without well-defined goals, you are going to be wasting time doing things that don’t bring you closer to achieving them. When you are lost, driving faster doesn’t get you any closer to your destination it just gets you more lost. Know where you want to go with your life and set the course.
- Step 2 – Analyze How You Spend Your Time. There are only so many hours in a day, and you need to know how you are spending them. Are you spending time where your priorities are? Look for areas where you can be more productive and less rushed.
- Step 3 – Don’t Throw Away Your ‘To Do’ List. Yes, you still need to keep a list of daily tasks. However, it is important that you prioritize your list. What things NEED to get done and what can be done tomorrow or the next day? Use colored highlighters or a numbering system to keep track of your daily priorities.
- Step 4 – Control Procrastination. We’ve all been there. Why do something lame when we can play for a bit? For many, procrastination is a way of life. However, it can also lead to higher stress levels. Control procrastination by getting rid of distractions and temptations. Start your day by doing the things you would rather not do and move to the more enjoyable tasks as the day progresses.
- Step 5 – Relax! If you aren’t taking time out of your day to relax and unwind you are going to burn yourself out. Proper rest is key to achieving happiness and getting the most out of your day.